Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Chapter 8: Thoughts on Professionalism

*The opinions expressed in this blog are not affiliated in any way with my employer

I have been extremely fortunate to spend my first post-college job in an environment where I am encouraged to take on responsibility and learn with guided help.  Yes, I already knew how to edit word documents, produce a PowerPoint, and set up a meeting in Outlook, but the true lessons for me were in professionalism and inspiration within the office.  I have worked for almost two years at a company that has gone through several major transitions since I began my employment.  It has been a wondrous roller coaster of human interaction, communication theory, and diligent leadership.  Has it been rough?  Yes.  Has it been insightful? Yes.  I have learned so much.  This article is about 5 major things that I have observed from my standpoint as faithful, low-level employee and tips for bosses and staff going through transition.  Please contribute your thoughts on this as well.  If that does not apply to you, keep reading... I am hoping you might be able to contribute or take something away from this anyway.

1. Bosses, be amazing.  I have an amazing boss who literally inspires me to write documentation on how to sign a PDF with a digital signature.  This is the truth.  My boss sat me down one morning and described how samurai swords are made by folding steel on itself time and time again to create this perfect weapon.  He then revealed a document that needed the same kind of work.  Who does that?!  An amazing boss.  I learned that though my position is somewhat basic, I still have an impact.  We can be inspired to do our work whether it is your dream job or a beginning job.

2. Staff, be inspired.  It is not juvenile to be inspired or to be passionate.  It literally changes your outlook on the workplace.  If your boss tries to inspire you, take it!  Believe that what you are doing is important and for the "greater good" of the company.  Read the company website, find what you once liked or do like about the company and own it!  If your job is somewhere you go to waste most of your time, I feel truly sorry for you.  Why not believe in what you are doing?  I am an Administrative Assistant.  As great as that is, I do not think people dream of taking meeting minutes.  However, I see this as an opportunity to glean from those wiser and observe how professionals act and treat each other.  I believe in the opportunity.

3. Never lie, never hide.  Bosses, though we are low-level in comparison to VPs, CEOs, and CFOs, we aren't dumb... that is why you hired us.  Be honest with us and keep us in the loop, no matter how tough the transition is.  Staff, communicate!  Be open about your progress along the way.  This honestly saves you if something goes wrong because you can say that you've kept everyone in the loop along the way.  This also allows for honest feedback if you are not quite where you should be.

4. Take chances. Treat people like they know their job.  Simple, I know, but I cannot tell you how many times I have seen bosses and staff alike treat each other like they do not know what they are doing.  Have faith in your fellow people!  Give them a chance.  Bosses, allow your staff to take on new responsibility even if it is outside of their known tool box.  There is so much about people that we do not know; so much past experience that can be useful.  Staff, take chances!  If an opportunity arises, offer your services.  Be willing to learn new things and make yourself valuable.  I have observed that those willing and able to learn gain success and gain success faster than those who will not learn a new way of business.

5. Attitude is king.  Save the chit-chat and work gossip for... never.  Deal with conflict in a professional manner right where the issue starts - escalating as necessary.  Professionalism commands respect and in the long run it creates a reputation for yourself that cannot be questioned.  If you see something out of place, go to the person in charge of that task and ask about it.  There is no need to skip two links in the chain and go to the main boss over trivial issues; people do not respect someone who deliberately makes them look bad.  My biggest professional gain thus far has been to learn that no task should be too small and to take ownership of the things no one else wants to do.  These tasks are often key to a company's daily success.  An attitude of professional ownership goes a very long way.

Thank you for indulging in my work ethic philosophies for a moment.  Comment below if you have additional tips or thoughts you use in the workplace.


1 comment:

  1. I wish more people thought this way. Not only would it make our workplaces so much more pleasant, but I think our economy would actually flourish with this kind of mindset. Start a workplace revolution!

    ReplyDelete